September 18, 2019
In this workshop, we will examine sources of data about conflict and migration, discuss how we can understand and use that data, and then work to visualize that data.
Before arriving in class, you should download and start a trial of the software Tableau. Follow these directions to get started:
- Go to Tableau’s website: https://www.tableau.com/products/trial
- Insert your university email address at the top of the page and click the orange button “Download Free Trial”
- Follow the prompts to download and install the software
- If you wish to continue your Tableau subscription, you can gain free access to a year-long subscription. Visit the Tableau Academic Programs page for students: https://www.tableau.com/academic/students
- Click “Get Tableau for Free” and fill out the form. They will email you with a product key within a few days. Make sure to check your junk mail folder in case it ends up in there.
During the workshop, we will be referring to the following websites and resources:
- Yemen Data Project: https://www.yemendataproject.org
- Our sample dataset
- Open Refine: Data cleaning tool